Allo' Expat UK - Connecting Expats in UK
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat United Kingdom Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter
Check our Rates
   Information Center United Kingdom
United Kingdom General Information
United Kingdom Expatriates Handbook
Useful Numbers
Immigration Information
  Entry Visa
Work Permit
United Kingdom and Foreign Government
United Kingdom General Listings
United Kingdom Useful Tips
United Kingdom Education & Medical
United Kingdom Travel & Tourism Info
United Kingdom Lifestyle & Leisure
United Kingdom Business Matters
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

United Kingdom Immigration Information Entry Visa

The UK has very tough immigration laws, which are enforced. Before travelling, make sure you have all the required visas and documentation or you will be refused entry.

Visa Requirement

If you are not a British citizen you might need entry clearance to enter the UK. The Home Office has three categories based on entry requirements:

European Economic Area Citizens: Do not need entry clearance to enter the UK. The European Economic Area (EEA) includes all EU countries plus Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland. Swiss nationals also fall under this category.

Non-Visa Nationals: Only require an entry certificate when going to the UK to work or to settle. This category primarily consists of Commonwealth citizens.

Visa Nationals: Need a visa to enter the UK for any reason.

You will also need a visa if you:

• are stateless (you do not have a nationality),

• hold a non-national travel document (a travel document which does not give you the nationality or citizenship of the country that issued it),

• hold a passport issued by an authority unrecognised in the UK.

Nationals of the following 10 countries now need a visa when staying in the UK longer than six months: Australia, Canada, Hong Kong SAR, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea and the USA.

You can find out what type of entry clearance you need based on your nationality, purpose of the visit and country location, by going to the Foreign Office page, click here.

Visas are issued for a maximum stay of six months. If you require a visa and wish to remain in the UK longer than six months, you must leave the country and apply for a new visa. If you wish to leave and return to the UK within the duration of your visa, it will save you a lot of trouble if you apply for a multiple-entry visa. If you only have a single-entry visa you will have to apply for a new visa each time you leave the country.

Visas and other forms of entry clearance (such as an entry certificate) for England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland need to be obtained prior to your arrival in Great Britain. If you require a visa there is no way to make an application on arrival and the likelihood is that you will be refused entry to the United Kingdom.

Applications for entry into the UK should be made at any British Diplomatic Post in your country of residence.

See more information on the next page... (next)





copyrights ©
2015 | Policy